Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Recipe for New Year Good Luck

If I were to have a popular post, it would be my annual one about Black Eyed Peas.  Here's the original recipe I shared:
http://venetianblond.blogspot.com/2012/01/best-new-years-black-eyed-peas.html 

And here's last year's round the world look at why the tradition might have started:
http://venetianblond.blogspot.com/2014/01/why-eat-black-eyed-peas-on-new-years.html

(Not sure about 2013, not going to do a detailed search.  Maybe I was too busy cooking in 2013.)

Anyway, as I pulled out the Family Cookbook (my sister asked for recipes from all of us and put them in a decorative binder, so it really is a family cookbook) I happened to find a recipe from my mom that looks amazing!  I may have to abandon my tried and true and try her Harvest Hoppin' John.  Good thing I have 364 days to decide!

Harvest Hoppin' John

2 T. Olive Oil
1 small red onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 1/2 C. long-grain rice
1 tsp coarse salt
2 tsp fresh thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
2 C. chicken or veg broth
2 C. fresh Black Eyed Peas
2 C. chopped collard, mustard, or turnip greens (packed)
8 fresh basil leaves, slivered
2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
2 green onions, minced

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, red pepper, and jalapeño pepper and salute 5 minutes.  Add rice, salt, and thyme, and stir until the rice is coated.  Add broth.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Add peas and greens and continue to cook, covered, another 10 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed, peas are tender, and rice is fluffy.  Remove from heat and stir in basil and black pepper.  Serve warm, topped with tomatoes and green onions.  Serves 6.

Calories 212
Fat 4g
Cholesterol 0g
Protein 5g
Carbohydrates 39g
Fiber 4g
Sodium 443mg

Doesn't that look amazing?!

No comments: