Sunday, January 1, 2012

Best New Year's Black Eyed Peas

I've been making black eyed peas the same way every year, even though I really don't like them all that much.  Talk about a die hard tradition.  Anyway, I decided to try something different, and lo and behold, this recipe made some fantastic black eyed peas!  I may make them on a day other than New Year's!

1 can black eyed peas
2 ounces cubed ham (to your preference, I like to chop it pretty small)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced sweet red pepper
3 tablespoons minced green onions

Dressing:
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I used 1 teaspoon dried)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup vinegar (this seemed like a lot to me, so I reduced to 3 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons hot sauce (I used about 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
dash of black pepper.

Combine veg and ham in one bowl, dressing in another. Pour dressing over veg mixture, toss gently. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.  Easy peasy!

(This came from an old book I have called "Light Cooking for Two" and says it's 2 servings, at 391 calories per serving, but that would be a ton!  I would call it 4 servings at close to 200 calories per.)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'll have to try this. I made collard greens and Hoppin' John yesterday and oddly enough, C & I both liked the greens better. Which was somewhat strange because the greens were just cooked with ham, salt, & sugar, while the Hoppin' John was this huge time consuming recipe. Go figure.