Saturday, September 25, 2010

Just Keep Running...

I used to be a runner.  Well, not really.  What a cold open-let me try again.  I ran cross country in middle school and track in high school.  I was only highly mediocre, so I was on the teams but I never broke any records or scored major points for my schools.  Looking back, I realize now that I didn't know how to push myself.  I mean really exert and flat RUN!  (The main thing that helped me understand was childbirth-I discovered that throughout my entire athletic career I had never really pushed myself to the limit.)


I run now, too.  Well, not really.  I'll try that again, too.  I jog.  It helps with keeping healthy, you know, and there are fun runs all year long all around the country. I ran the 5K for Children's Hospital back in 2005 with my brother.  More accurately stated--I ran behind my brother by about 5 minutes.  It was fun, though, and I clocked a decent time.

I'm running (jogging) again these days, and I have a purpose.  Perhaps you've heard of the situation in Congo.  More specifically, the plight of women in the Congo.  Rape is used, today, right now, as a systematic tactic of war.   

On October 16th, I will be running 5K in the Run/Walk for Congo Women.  Funds raised will go to Women for Women International  to provide basics like food, clothing, medicine, education, victim support, and more.  If you have a couple of dollars to spare, would you donate here?  My team has set a very modest goal, but a little goes a long way in the Congo.  It's hard to train, and hard to run a race, but comparing my very mild exertion to what these women do to live is no contest.  It really is the very least I can do.  I hope you'll help me make an impact. 

No comments: