Saturday, May 12, 2007

I'm baa--aaack!

Did Carol Anne actually say that in one of the sequels? Of course the original was "They're hee--eere," but now I'm not sure about the other.
Anyway, it's been about a month since my last post, and with time (and several therapy sessions) things are going okay. The sadness does come and go, but not overwhelmingly so. I did have a bit of a shock when I realized Mother's Day was coming up. Mother's Day! How could I have not been paying attention?! But I had been fixating on May 30th, which was our original due date, so Mother's Day totally snuck up on me. My mother-in-law emailed about big plans with her, her 3 sisters, her mom, etc. and the idea of a huge group of people really threw me for a loop. In fact I was kind of a mess the whole afternoon at work after I got that email. It's kind of interesting what things end up being triggers, and what things don't faze you in the least. So we won't be doing that, and she said she understood, and I hope that's true.
In fact big groups of any kind make me afraid right now and I'm not sure why that would be. Some sort of scarlet letter syndrome, that I feel "marked" somehow? I don't know.

However, I did make a huge step and went on two auditions, one for a play and one for a student film. I got the role I was shooting for in the play! I'm very very happy about it. I'll try to post the link on the sidebar. Of course I was very selective about the audition--the character is a Southern woman in her 30's...what a stretch! The show is "Dearest of Friends" and it's a short run, only 2 weeks, so it's perfect. Not a huge musical with an 8 week run that will suck out my will to live. Kenan is very supportive about it--he thinks it's a good idea for me to do it.

I am disappointed, however in my running. Or not running is more accurate. I started slow enough, I thought, but my reconstructed knee said no way Jose' and put a stop to that. Two weeks of rest, lots of ice, and I think I'm ready to try it again. I was introduced to a new park that has a walking trail around it, about 1/3rd mile per loop, so I think I'll go there so I can run on the grass. I'm hoping that will help. I would love to do the Run for Children's 5K again (last time was 2005) and since it's on Sept. 30 I've got plenty of time to train.

So, two steps forward, one step back, but it's still progress. We're going to have a camping vacation by driving to Wisconsin--stopping at Glacier, Shoshone, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, and I'm working on Kenan to let us go to the Palace of Corn! It'll take some convincing, though!

2 comments:

Colin said...

You know, cycling is good for reconstructed knees...works the muscles without pounding the knee joint. I'm just sayin'...

StephB said...

Been watching and thinking about you. Congratulations on your part!

Good luck with the knee. Colin keeps trying to lure everyone over to the bike side.