Friday, November 27, 2009

I did it!


I did it! I won NaPlWriMo, which means I completed a 75 page play in November. In fact, I've got a couple of days to spare. (Maybe I can use them to come up with a title.)
Even if the play's not any good, (which I think it is, once the editing is done) this was a terrific exercise for me because I so underwrite. I just assume everyone can take the cognitive leaps that I make in writing it, without realizing the audience not only is A) seeing it for the first time, but is also B) there to be entertained and shown the imagery, and wordplay, and all the fun stuff. By forcing myself to get to 75 pages I really had to work to fill out the dialogue, which was good work to do. 50 pages, not so bad. 60 was harder. Those last 15 were next to impossible.
So on to editing, and reading by a few trusted readers, then into the actors' mouths.

Then ScriptFrenzy in April. Sigh.

No comments: