Monday, March 22, 2010

Watching



I've gone through a big writing phase to a big watching phase. I'm not sure if I'm just trying to justify not producing a lot of words (academically or otherwise) but I've been thinking about all of the watching going on.

I have two current reviews up at Seattle's Child, for shows that the littlest Barbarian and I watched, and K-Ice and I watched Paradise Lost at the Intiman on Saturday night. I watched all 5 seasons of the Wire over a number of weeks, on DVD and iTunes. I watched directors give their pitches to the hiring committee for Driftwood Players. I watched the Health Care reform go by on my Twitterfeed.

The concept of the filter in the information age is not new. There's simply so much going on that we need to filter out the noise. Unfortunately we tend to filter out the voices that disagree with our preconceived notions. I don't mean that just politically, but also artistically. We tend to stay in our comfort zone in that arena, too.

Ultimately, I hope all of this watching will be good for me somehow, either by educating me or giving me steps up in my writing.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to start contributing.

No comments: